Skip to main content

🥧 Key Lim Pie


I often see in movies, people ordering Key Lim Pie at diners but it was only until a year ago I had my first taste of it when I visited the US.  I guess I wasn't sure what to expect, I'd imagined it to taste similar to a lemon tart and I was pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed it.  Totally nothing like what I had expected but when I found out its main ingredient is condensed milk 😱 the penny dropped and it's no wonder why I liked it so much.  I stock pile condensed milk, I can literally eat condensed milk on its own...I have condensed milk in my milo, my coffee, my vanilla tea and even on my toast and as my son often says "don't judge me!" LOL

I'd totally forgotten about this pie after I returned from my trip and it was only until recently when this recipe popped up on my fb feed I thought I'll have a quick look at how it it made.  This pie brought back fond memories and though there's so many recipes I'm yet to try I was drawn to make this because it was sooooooooooo easy and quick!

Since having my little boy I've been so time poor and feeling tired all the time, I barely have the time or desire to bake but when I come across an easy/no fuss recipe, I'm on to it!

If you're after an easy and fast dessert, this is one to have in your recipe file.  It tastes delicious too says everyone who managed to get some! :D


Ingredients


  • 300g Hob Nobs 
  • 150g butter , melted
  • 1 x 397g can condensed milk (we used Nestlé)
  • 3 medium egg yolks
  • finely grated zest and juice of 4 limes
  • 300ml double cream
  • 1 tbsp icing sugar
  • extra lime  zest, to decorate

Instructions


  • Heat the oven to 160C/fan 140C/gas 3.
  • Whizz 300g Hob Nobs to crumbs in a food processor (or put in a strong plastic bag and bash with a rolling pin).
  • Mix with 150g melted butter and press into the base and up the sides of a 22cm loose-based tart tin. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes. Remove and cool.
  • Put 3 medium egg yolks in a large bowl and whisk for a minute with electric beaters.
  • Add a can of condensed milk and whisk for 3 minutes, then add the finely grated zest and juice of 4 limes and whisk again for 3 minutes.
  • Pour the filling into the cooled base then put back in the oven for 15 minutes. Cool then chill for at least 3 hours or overnight if you like. When you are ready to serve, carefully remove the pie from the tin and put on a serving plate.
  • To decorate, softly whip together 300ml double cream and 1 tbsp icing sugar.
  • Dollop or pipe the cream onto the top of the pie and finish with extra lime zest.

  • ** Note to self - before putting into the oven, drop the pan a couple of times to remove the air in the mixture.  I realised I should have done this as soon as I opened the oven door and saw the air bubbles as you can see in the pics.

    Enjoy!




    Comments

    Popular Posts