Chocolate Roulade...



I had such a craving for chocolate roulade last week which made it difficult for me to focus on my bears. It was pointless trying to push the craving back, my mouth was salivating at the thought of eating it! lol No more sewing was going to get done so I dropped my needles and scissors and headed to the kitchen to make my chocolate roulade!! Despite the strong craving from earlier on, when I finished baking and decorating the cake, I was too full from the process and didn't eat a slice until I got back from a 1 hour walk with Walter.

This was my first attempt at this recipe and I thought it turned out rather well if I must say so myself! lol It tasted just like something purchased from a cake cafe but fresher :D Next time, instead of the dark chocolate topping, I'm going to try spreading it with chocolate ganache, think this will taste even better.

Serves 10
Ingredients:

1/2 cup cocoa, plus extra for dusting
1/2 cup SRF plus extra for dusting
1 tsp baking powder
5 eggs
1/2 cup caster sugar plus extra for dusting

baileys & cream filling:
3/4 cup thicken cream
1/4 cup Baileys Irish Cream

dark chocolate topping:
200g butter at room temp
1/2 cup pure icing sugar plus extra for dusting
250g dark chocolate, melted

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 190c or 170c fan. Line a 30cm x 25cm swiss roll pan with baking paper. Grease paper with a little butter and dust lightly with extra cocoa.
2. Sift cocoa, flour and baking powder into a bowl. Using an electric mixer, beat eggs and caster sugar for 8 minutes until thick, pale and trebled in volume. Using a large metal spoon, carefully and quickly fold in flour mixture. Pour into prepared pan and spread out gently, so batter is evenly distributed. Bake for 10-15 mins, until firm.
3. Cool sponge in pan for 2 mins. Dust a sheet of baking paper with extra caster sugar. Turn sponge out onto paper. Peel paper from sponge base and roll up sponge using paper underneath. Sponge may crack while rolling but must be rolled warm. Cool.
4. To make filling, whisk cream until firm. Stir in Baileys and refrigerate until required.
5. To make topping, beat together butter and icing sugar. Fold in melted chocolate and stand until cool enough to spread.
6. Gently unroll sponge. Using a teaspoon, dot half of chocolate topping over sponge. Gently spread to cover sponge. Top with a spread of Baileys cream. Re-roll roulade as tightly as possible, using paper to help, without pushing filling out either end.
7. Spread remaining topping over roulade. Use a metal spatula to give a rough surface. Dust with extra icing sugar to serve.

Comments

  1. Wow, that chocolate roulade looks great! You can't even tell it was your first attempt! I like the sound of the Bailey's cream!

    ReplyDelete
  2. THanks Rilsta :D The Bailey's cream really add to it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks delicious & delectable!!! XD

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts